Saturday, September 10, 2011

I Been A Thinkin'

I been a thinkin'. If you read my post from last night, you would know that yesterday I averaged only 0.7 miles per hour and wearing myself out doing it, right? Well it's because I'm doing everything wrong. Here is what I realized today just sitting here.
1. I have a long heavy canoe with a large surface area contacting the water.
2. I'm utilizing my shortest and weakest extremities to propel this freighter.
3. I have a good light weight double ended paddle but I am still making little contact with the water compared to the surface area contact and weight of the canoe.
4. Since I am using my arms only for propulsion, when I do anything else with my arms, the canoe stops. Like; take a picture, eat lunch, dry my face, check my email, gesture to that speed boat driver that I think he is number one.
5. The longest and largest extremities on my body with the the largest muscles in them are just sitting in the hull of the canoe. I even have to stop once in a while to exercise them. Even that works against me on my average speed.

I been a thinkin'.

I need to be propelling this freighter with both my arms and legs together. Wow. What a concept. So what am I thinking? A peddle powered paddlewheel system? A peddle powered prop? A peddle powered air boat canoe thingy. I don't know yet, but something has to change. I been a thinkin'.

So, if I did add an additional source of propulsion that utilized my legs, would this still be referred to as "canoeing"? The canoe purist would tell you no and I would agree. I think it would have to convert over to a " human powered water craft". But I want to "canoe" the Tennessee River. Does it really matter what I call it or how I accomplish it as long as I accomplish it uninjured? Something has to change or this trip will take too long, I could injure myself and I won't be having much fun. I been a thinkin'.

I didn't have another new breath taking picture to send you because I have been just lying here all day. So I just sent a picture of what I am doing right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment