Monday, September 12, 2011

Injured and Sick - Going Home

You try to think of every detail in the planning stage of an expedition hoping to have all of the bases covered. Sometimes it is the little things that get you.
Friday I was using sun block on my exposed skin but for a short time my ankle was exposed and burned. I didn't feel it until the next day. It blistered and became edematous. I have lived at 8000 feet and climbed to 13,000 feet with no sun problems before. 

  
Also on the second night the air mattress went flat and I found myself sleeping on two bars. I woke up with my back in a mess. I have such pain in my foot that I didn't sleep much last night and so far I have not been able to sleep tonight.

I have called someone to pick up my trailer and come get me for some medical care. I guess what I do about the trip depends on what's wrong with me and how long it takes me to mend. I can't safely continue while in pain and not able to sleep for days. I need all of my wits about me on the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment