Sunday, September 11, 2011

"I Want Some Signs"

Canoes and bicycles are the same, they just live in different environments.
A bicycle is a small open road vehicle that often shares the road with other larger vehicles. The canoe is the same on the river. One major difference though is that the bicycles get signs that say " Share the Road", "Watch out for bicycles".
What I want to know is...where are the canoe signs?

Today I was paddling way out of the channel and this big cabin bruiser (cruiser) left the channel and passed within 20 feet of me. He was moving fast and created a big wake. I turned my canoe into the wake and rode it out as water splashed over my bow. As soon as they passed me, they dropped the rpm to an idle. "Yeah, it's too late now buddy" I was thinking.

Another time today, one yacht passed me going fast and then I noticed a second yacht coming up behind him coming even faster. They both flew right by me. As the faster second yacht passed by me and began to overtake the first yacht, I heard the overtaking yacht radio say "May I pass on your port? I'll reduce my speed so the wake won't affect you as much"

Now wait a minute. What's up with that? He passes a canoe going 45 and then offers a yacht his same size wake considerations?
I want a sign like the bicycles have..."Watch out for the canoes", "Share the River". I want some signs.

At least I don't have to wear a brain bucket.............yet.
Sorry. No beautiful pictures with this post. I was a little busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment